Good morning! This week’s edition of Thursday’s PE Drill Thrills will be a continuation of SandBell partner games, posted on Oct. 13. The two games provided today will workout the abdominal muscles and challenge partners to complete a task together.
Drill Thrill #1: Heave Ho
- Divide students into pairs and give one SandBell per pair.
- Direct partners to lie in the sit-up position, with their toes barely touching each other.
- One partner begins by hugging the SandBell across their chest.
- Both partners simultaneously do a sit-up, and once they meet at the top the partner with the SandBell hands it over to the other partner who holds it as they lie back down.
- Repeat the sit-ups with alternating SandBell hand-off. Challenge students to see how many sit-ups they can complete in 30 seconds.
Drill Thrill #2: Hoist the Sails
- Divide students into pairs and give two SandBells per pair.
- Direct partners to sit facing one another, legs extended, with the SandBells at their feet.
- Working together, partners “hoist the sail,” i.e. balance one SandBell on their feet and then lift it as high as they can without dropping it.
- Challenge pairs to lift both SandBells when they become accomplished at lifting one.
Now go out and have your students give these games a try! Remember, you can always incorporate these games into a circuit or relay to switch things up and get everyone moving!