As we find ourselves more than halfway through 2011, it’s becoming more and more evident that our lives revolve around an online world. Just about everything can be done on a computer, smart phone, iPad, whatever!
Lucky for us, we can use this technologically-savvy world to our advantage. The smart phone application craze has resulted in a number of apps that distract and consume us, ahem—Angry Birds, Words With Friends, the list goes one, but also some that can help us stay in shape, track workout progress and improve overall health.
In an online article for BostInnovation.com, Justin Bomberowitz gives the low-down on the top 10 health and fitness iPhone apps. Of his picks, our favorites are as follows:
- Runkeeper: This free app tracks and maps your outdoor workouts, measures speed and average calories burned.
- Calorie Tracker: Developed by Lance Armstrong’s Livestrong.com, this also free app acts as a calorie counter and nutrition database for the caloric value of thousands of foods.
- Medscape: Use this free app to look up diseases, symptoms, conditions, medical news and a multitude of drug references.
- YOGA Free 250 Poses & Yoga Classes: This one probably doesn’t need much explanation, download this app to see hundreds of yoga poses and put together your own yoga program.
- Locavore: Unsure of where your local farmers market or healthy food distributor is located? Then download this free app to direct you to the nearest fresh food vendor!
Have you used any of these apps before, if so, what did you think? Let us know if you have any great ones you want to recommend, we’d love to hear your feedback!